Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 28th...Daniel is 21


My baby is twenty-one today…think I should stop calling him a baby?
I was at a shower (baby shower) a couple of weeks ago were another guest asked me about my children. When I mentioned Daniel I called him my baby and a young missionary kid asked, “How old is he?” I said that he soon would turn 21 and she said, “He isn’t a baby!”
So, Daniel…today I promise to not call you a BABY any longer…that is my gift to you.
I think it is BIG so just forget the money we were going to put in your banking account…OH, you want the money…okay, BABY BOY…it is on its way!!!


Daniel is in his third year of college (North Greenville University) and is on the cross country team!!! GO DANIEL, GO DANIEL!!!
This past Saturday he came in third (for the team)…he cut his 5 mile run down by two minutes. THAT’S MY BABY!!!

Daniel was made to run. When he lived with Kenny and Teri Pope during his 8th grade year he tried every sport known to man (at the school!) When track season came around Mick thought that maybe Daniel should give Kenny and Teri a break from having to pick him up after practice. But Daniel insisted that TRACK was his sport and so found himself a ride home from practice and RAN. (Sort of like Forest, Forest Gump…HE JUST RAN!!!)

Daniel was correct…TRACK was/is his sport. He broke the school record for the two mile which has not been beaten since 2004. I loved the sight of him (all his focus on the finish line) right before he crossed the tape to win.

I may not get to watch him run in college BUT I can imagine it in my mind’s eye…and it is a beautiful sight!!! I know for sure that Daniel is giving all he has.

Daniel does this in life as well…What a joy to watch him RUN Life’s Race.

BABY BOY…it has been a BLAST…looking forward to seeing you win many (life) races and one day (either standing by Jesus in heaven when you arrive or arriving with you at the trumpet sound) hearing HIM say…Welcome Home my good and faithful RUNNER…YOU WON the RACE…you kept the faith!
Then, I’ll no longer call you My Baby …I’ll call you WINNER!!!

Happy Birthday Man-Fred,
One proud mom (and if Dad had a blog he could say the same!)

I Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Daniel 2004


Waiting on a picture of him running in 2009...
want to move that along son?

No comments: