Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Celebrate...Fourteen years in Ukraine

In 1492 Columbus sailed the
Ocean Blue…






In 1994 Stockwells over the Ocean did SOAR...


Today, October 14, 2008 marks fourteen years of living and serving in Ukraine.

We came with 24 bags (with more in the states to be brought by volunteer teams.)
Rumor was that we could not even buy tooth-paste here. Were we surprised to find Colgate and many other things we thought we would not have.

Still, the pickings were bare and our first Christmas was pretty pitiful (that’s for you Teri Pope!) So pitiful in fact, that the next year our home church, Houston Northwest, sent us packages and the Leveretts…we had to send the Leveretts back.

I remember being in the middle of Culture Shock and thinking about Jesus…how He must have felt when He left the splendor of Heaven for me…talk about Culture Shock…to come from Heaven to earth! I mean, I thought that leaving America (TEXAS) was bad, but think about it, to leave perfection (and God the Father) to come to EARTH…wow…what LOVE!

I try not to remember much of language school…but I do remember when Mick told me that he thought we should move out EAST (go East young woman!) My feet kept walking (we were on our way to language school) but my spirit stopped. I didn’t want to go out East…that was further from America (TEXASJ) and further from the capital, further from the doctor who knew that Americans (TEXANS) loved NEW needles when being poked!
But the Lord quickly reminded me that He didn’t bring me half way (really, more than half way) around the world to not be in His perfect will. So, I said, “Yes, Lord…if You want us to move East, it is East we go!”

And East we went. What fulfillment we found! Our boys grew up there. They learned Russian, made friends, worked in the churches, served with volunteer teams when they came, and became men in Kharkov, Ukraine (out East.) I’m so glad we obeyed.

We are back in Kiev now. Serving in a much different capacity…but fulfilled all the same. Because we are where He has put us for this time.

Life is different in Ukraine. Mick and I walked the main street of Kiev today and saw many new sights...we still don’t have a Starbucks or Pizza Hut or SONIC.
The clothes do seem to match better these days. People smell better and I can understand MOST of what they are saying!
I enjoy church services now and have Ukrainian friends!

Our personal life looks different…it is just Mick, KoKo (the dog) and me in our home... I still miss the boys, but as I've said, it is such a pleasure to watch them as MEN...and MEN can not live at home (too bad!) We love having a girl in the family (even though she lives with Christopher in the states) and are thrilled to be getting another soon. I am well on my way to being a happy LONG DISTANCE MOM.
Christopher called today and we talked about life issues as grown ups. We spoke of days gone by here in Ukraine and of the future.
Though there are changes daily...I am not afraid of the future as I walk in obedience to Him.

Fourteen years and counting!
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

I Corinthians 15:58

The song, GREAT ADVENTURE was our theme song in 1994

Enjoy it here!!!
Stockwells in 1994





Mick shopping for our dinner...or is that sugar?

Well, either way, sugar could make a good dinner!!!




See, that sugar made a great meal!!!














Saint Andrew's street in Kiev















The boys and Ms. Zoya



Stockwells and Shevchenkos


The Stockwells today

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, this one will not be as long.. sorry. I just lost the longest sweetest letter I've ever written anyone and I'm so mad I lost it. So here goes.. Mickey and Dalese, thank you for giving to the Lord (song)... let it play in your head while you read this... Serioulsly, I do want to affirm you guys in all you do and say I can't believe it's been 14 years!! Wow has it really been that long? No way, but I guess it has. We are gettn old!! You guys are awesome and I was just saying how envious I am that your kids have gotten to have this priviledge to be raised in a foreign country. I know they don't take that for granted, but what a Blessing. I'm sure that in the beginning it did'nt feet that way.. and at times (when you miss your baby's), is still difficult.. so for that reason, I want to say thanks for being obedient to Gods call on your lives.. especially you Dalese. You are truly a helpmate to Mick and I admire you. Your beauty surpasses them all... you are not only outwardly beautiful (sickning) but inwardly....price far above jewels etc. cause you have supported Mick in his "call", and love him and your boys and are making such and impact for the Gospel. Ok Mick... Your amazing too, but I just feel like praising your sweet wife, as a woman, for all she has had to die to. We love you guys.. (even if Starla tried to get you fired), and pray another however many years God has in store for you... until then, Happy trails.., Cheers Love ya, Misty Crosby :-D

Tiffany said...

WOW!! Where has the time gone? Dalese, you are one of the most influential people in my life! I have had the privilege of watching you not just talk the talk but walk the walk for a LONG TIME. THANK YOU for always being so real and transparent...through every step of your journey. You have taught me so much just by the way you live your life. I love you like crazy! Tell Mick I love him too (not as much as you though since he yelled at me at Camp Lone Star). Congratulations on 14 years in Ukraine....and a lifetime of loving people!