Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ode To Daniel on his 20th







Me and My Dad


Ode to Daniel who leaves TEEN years behind today

Daniel, my baby Daniel, Okay, Okay…you aren’t a baby…but believe me, you will always be my baby. To me, the word “BABY” doesn’t mean that you are lacking in any way, manner, or form…but that you are the last of a kind!

You were the last Stockwell male child I bore. Maybe, God saved the best for last (what do you think Christopher and Jonathan??? )

You were the last to get a B.B. gun, a knife, and all those special gifts.
You were the last to start school and to finish (you really haven’t finished have you…but you will!)
You were the last son at home for four years: During that time you were the one who offered to go with me when I had to go out at night alone. You were the only son doing any chores around here. You made me laugh. You kept me young.

You were the last to meet Katie Girl, and it looks like
you will be the last to marry.

AND You were the last to leave home (WHY you want to leave me???) and it felt like death. My whole body ached for days. Dad cried like a baby…but I’m sure he wouldn’t want me to share that.

However, I do have to admit that I’m okay and I’m even happy you left. Not because I don’t miss you…I will always miss all three of you around my table every night (when I was in control...I had no idea I was such a control freak)
BUT I have to confess that it has been a GREAT delight to see you grow into the man you are becoming. I’m glad you left so that you can stand on your own two feet...you are doing it so well!!! MY, those two feet hold you up straight and tall.

So, as you leave the TEENS behind and advance into man-hood I want to express my sincere admiration for who you are becoming. It is a joy to watch God lead you and you follow.

You aren’t perfect (just like the rest of us…welcome to the real world) but you are FORGIVEN and you know that! So, you keep walking…with God’s help you will knock down that wall!!! (Can’t help it…the Veggie Tale song just popped into my head)
And you will do more of the great and mighty things God has purposed for you to accomplish for Him. I look forward to seeing that transpire…Always happy to say…
”That’s my boy, my BABY boy!”



The pleasure of mothering you has been all mine.

Proverbs 23:25
















"You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."


II Timothy 2:1



Sometimes you still act like "the Baby"

And we love that about you!!!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday, Daniel!! Dalese, did you know that Daniel was born on my birthday? :)

Joe R said...

Dalese,
I was the "baby" in my family and was my momma's "baby" till the day she died last year. While it "bothered" me during my twenties and thirties, I think it would be kind of cool to hear my mom now call me her "baby." You have lots to be proud of in Daniel...

Melanie... said...

Dalese - I remember babysitting Daniel and having to chase him down the street or try to coax him out from under the clothing rack at some store. I can't believe he's 20!
Melanie...

Darla said...

Good afternoon, I caught up to your blog thru Marsha's blog.
Oh my goodness Dalese I cried like a baby. That was so beautiful. And I will be strong (while clutching my heart)as I remember that my twin baby boys will be 20 soon. It's ok, I'm ok....breathe. There are still two left to work on and torture..err ahh train during their teenage yrs.