Monday, September 1, 2008


1 Corinthians 16:13
Be on the watch, unmoved in the faith, and be strong like men.

When I think of the word WATCH I think of my eyes. I mean, you know, tongue with taste, ears with hearing, and eyes with seeing (or watching!)
But sometimes we SEE things that we do not understand…even when we WATCH (To look or observe attentively or carefully; be closely observant) we still do not understand.

Sometimes we SEE things in another culture that make no sense to us.
Mick shared a story from the FRONT (that is what I’m calling Georgia at this time!) this morning. How many of you have heard of Borsch? It is a beet/cabbage meal (in a bowl) best described to Americans as Beet Soup. However, we would never call it soup in front of the nationals…it is not a soup in their opinion. Well, you know, we have Chili (everyone knows that Chili isn’t soup) so I can give them that. It is their (Ukrainian and Russian) national “Chili.”

You probably have never heard of Har-cho. This is Georgia’s national SOUP. Yes, for some reason it is considered a soup…most likely because it is SOUP! But Mick’s story really blew my mind as he told me that in Georgia he asked them (not Ukrainians nor Russians, but Georgians) if Har-cho was soup. They said, “Yes!” For some reason (he must have just had too much time on his hands) he took it a step further and asked them if Borsch was soup and they said, “NO!”

If someone asked me if Borsch was SOUP I’d say, “Well, yes…but the nationals do not consider it so!”
These Georgians couldn’t go there with Mick…he asked them to explain the difference in their SOUP (Har-cho) and Borsch (water based meal served in a bowl!)
They couldn’t…but they also could not see his point…Why would he even think that Borsch could be a soup?

They couldn’t see it…why??? Because of their culture, their world view, and what they grew up hearing and knowing to be true, they couldn’t see Mick’s point.
I could sit here and think how silly…but instead I decided to examine (WATCH) my own life, ideas, and what I believe to be TRUTH.

I wonder how many times I think I know God’s will and way and am so far off because of my culture, my world view, and what I grew up hearing and knowing to be true?

Psalm 141: 8
But my eyes are fixed on You, O Sovereign Lord; in You I take refuge…

This is my prayer: Fix my eyes on You, my Sovereign Lord, so that I may be on WATCH (seeing with Your eyes and believing Your truth), unmoved in the faith, and be strong like a woMAN.

Able to love even those who are all mixed up about what constitutes the make up of soup!!!



3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good stuff, Dalese! Thanks for sharing!!

Melanie... said...

I love hearing what is going on with you guys. I'm praying for your family and so glad you are blogging so I can "hear" your sweet voice again.
Melanie McHenry Corcoran...

Katie and Christopher said...

I'm SO happy you're on here! I like reading your thoughts, praises, happenings, etc.! We'll catch up soon...I promise. I'm going to lay down and take a nap. I miss and love you.