Monday, November 24, 2008

I don't belong

I’m cleaning apartment today!
Getting ready for my Thanksgiving guest.
I was popping in CDs to play and came across Mark Lowry’s.

Side-note:
You may not know that Mick and I had the privilege of going to college with Mark. I didn’t know him, but Mick did. Mick says that he (meaning MICK) was funnier than Mark back then…so, why are we not rich Mick???
I really don’t know if Mark is rich or not, so I don’t want to start a rumor…just a little FAMILY humor!

Anyway, back to the CD…there are several songs on this OLD CD that I love.
“We Fall Down”…powerful song if you ask me!
“It Wouldn’t Be Enough” but the one that got my attention as I was cleaning was:

“I Don’t Belong”…the Chorus goes like this:
“I don’t belong and I’m goin’ some day home to my own native land. I don’t belong and it seems like I hear the sound of a welcome home band. I don’t belong I’m a foreigner here singing a sojourner’s song. I’ve always known this place ain’t home and I don’t belong.
Don’t belong, but while I’m here I’ll be livin’ like I’ve nothing to lose. And while I breathe I’ll just believe my Lord is gonna see me through. I’ll not be deceived by earth’s make-believe. I’ll close my ears to her siren song by praising His name, and I’m not ashamed ‘cause I don’t belong.”

While listening to the song (for the hundredth time) I realized that I do not (and have never) felt weird because I wasn’t like the Ukrainian people (or any other people when I’ve visited other countries!) I’ve never tried to be exactly like them…to look exactly like them…to act exactly like them…WHY???
Because I know I’m not an Ukrainian…I’m an American who gets to live here and serve…but I do not belong here…I have an American passport and citizenship!
It is Okay when I do not seem Ukrainian…’cause I’m not!!!
It has never bothered me.

HOWEVER, I also realized that sometimes it bothers me when the world seems to look on me differently because of something I’ve said or done. Why is that?
I’m not of the world…I’m bought at a high price and my citizenship is in Heaven. Philippians 3:20
It shouldn’t bother me at all to be different.
I should not feel peculiar when I do not fit in? I Peter 2:9
Why should I want to fit in???

I don’t want to be deceived by earth’s make-believe…I want to be listening for the sound of the welcome home band on the streets of gold! Revelation 21:21
I’m a sojourner…no need to get tangled in this world.

Lord, help me remember I’m not home...yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good song...and CRAZY that Mick knew Mark in college.
I feel like I'm from another place all together some times...I like the way that C.S. Lewis put it:

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

It's crazy, but in America, and here...and basically everywhere I've been I think I feel homesick for a place I've never been.