Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nightmare of Words

Two nights ago I had a nightmare. No human was after me, words were the culprit.
I have no idea why…maybe it was the WITHOUT A TRACE we watched before going to bed. The father of a little girl who had been taken told the mother that it was her fault for not watching their daughter more carefully. No fears, the daughter was found alive and well. But we did not see the father apologize to the mother. HUM??? This really did impact me…enough to make me ask Mick if he didn’t think it was a bad thing to do...to accuse another of being at fault.

Maybe all that added up to my Nightmare of Words. In my dream I was in some sort of school (you know how dreams are…they make sense at the time, but when re-telling them you think, “WOW, how did I let that bother me…so unreal!”) and my assignment was to read something (anything) and re-write it in my own words. I was so anxious to get something read and written down…but no matter what I did, I couldn’t read anything or if I did read it, I couldn’t get it written down to complete my assignment…and as time wore on it was getting to be time for class. I remember thinking that I just needed to read anything…maybe an advertisement and re-write it. That was all I had time for, but I couldn’t even get that done.
I woke up…thank goodness!

Went to the restroom and when I came back to bed I must have awoken Mick because he got up to go to the restroom. I said, “I’m so glad I woke up, I was having a nightmare!”
He came back to bed, got in, covered up, and didn’t say a word.

I lay there thinking…either he didn’t hear me, or he doesn’t care about my nightmare!
Well, I was wide awake and so I thought about my dream. I thought to myself how much more meaning WORDS would have if everything I read was worked over in my mind as if I had to re-write it and turn it in for a grade. And I thought about the fact that if I had to think about what I said that carefully before I even said it, (wow…now, that is a thought) that I might not talk as much.

WORDS ARE POWERFUL…God’s WORD has several things to say about WORDS:

“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1

“An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” Proverbs 12:25

“A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”
Proverbs 25:11

“When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” Proverbs 10:19


Like I said, if we had to really think about the words that were coming out of our mouths…are you hearing the words that are coming out of my mouth?…I wonder if we would say HALF of them?

God’s WORD has something to say about Itself:

II Samuel 22:31, Proverbs 30:5, and Psalm 12:6 tell us that God’s WORD is flawless.
Mine aren’t! How about yours?

In John 1:1-14 we are told that the WORD was in the beginning and that it was with God and the WORD was God and that the WORD became flesh and came to live with us…
JESUS IS THE WORD.

His WORD is truth…John 17:17

My words are not flawless, they are not always truthful and they do not always cheer and are not always aptly spoken…
But Praise the LORD, we can depend upon every WORD that comes out of the mouth of GOD…
HIS WORD IS TRUTH…now, I need to meditate on it and put it to memory.

Thank you, heavenly Father, for Your WORD.

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14

P.S. Mick mentioned my nightmare the next day…he said, “You're so cute!” I asked him how he came to that conclusion (I’ve been telling him that for years now!) and he said,
“How many people are happy to wake up in the middle of the night because they are having a nightmare?”
I didn’t answer and took the compliment…but I thought to myself…(see, I’m working on not saying everything I think!)…I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to wake up from a nightmare…oh well…to each his own!

I’m not saying anything!!!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Good stuff, Dalese. Unfortunately, there was nothing spiritual about what went through my warped mind as I slept last night. I dreamed that the contestants from The Biggest Loser were walking away from the refrigerated cases in the back of a grocery store while a lady who was BEHIND one of the glass doors was tearfully wishing them all the best of luck. It was very dramatic.